Friday, May 2, 2008

Sacrifices Before Indiana

Enough of solely writing about racing, it gets old. What about life? Cycling isn't separate from life, why should I describe it as such. It is very much enmeshed with every aspect of life. What the heck, I will dare to say that it sometimes dictates life.

I just left a party that had two huge groups of friends. All of my marching band friends and another group of other high school friends are gathered together listening to music and carb loading with sweet ales. But trying to break away in the world of cycling seems to require sacrifices. Sure I could have savored the heaviness of an IPA in the breezy summer's night, but I did not and am not. There is a race to be ridden.

I planned to race Cone-Azalia on Sunday, but something about the rainy weather, the dirt roads and the inability to go to church (if I can wake up that is) changed my itinerary. I would love to race with the rest of the South Lyon and UofM guys, but the cat 1/2/3 road race in northern Indiana sounds much better. It seems that I need all of the experience with the big dogs before heading to Leland at the end of May. Hopefully I'll stick with the pack and mark the breaks tomorrow; something I know will be nearly impossible at the Tour of Leelanau. I'll be attempting to merely hang in the pack up there.

Sleep is calling me. Eric (Hinderager) and I are leaving Ann Arbor at 10am to head to the road race. I can't wait to be out there, as usual. The sacrifice of missing laughs and beers will all be worth it once we're out on two wheels again.

6 comments:

BrendanBenson said...

Get trashed on the bike, not on the couch. Good luck in Indiana. I guess Mattison won't have any competition at Cone without you there.

Zachary Maino said...

Come on man! haha. I was expecting you at Cone! O well I guess Scott, Joe and I will make due.

Darrell Anderson said...

Now that's the attitude!! You have amazing potential as a bike racer. Continue to focus and you'll be surprised at how much progress you can make.

Doug said...

How was it?

Doug said...

Well, how did you do!?!?!? Put the xBox down and update this thing, your fans want to know.

Chris Aten said...

HAHA Doug, I do really need to update this thing, especially when I write before an event. I'll post the race report.

Yea Brendan! Good luck at Nationals man!!