Sunday, January 11, 2009

Back to the Winter Mess

My first day back from Florida was a bit depressing. It was disappointing to not see the sun rising over the ocean every morning while sipping some java. The winter temperatures were quite a shock too. But now I'm back at it.

Alan Antonuk, Tom Elias, Brendan, Nick and I made fools of ourselves yesterday. We went out in the winter snow storm to ride the dirt roads with our mountain bikes at about 1:30pm. It was wild. Sliding around every pedal stroke, trying to stay in some car's tire path while slipping on the ice beneath the inches of snow was an experience. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it. Afterward, while showing Tom around Ann Arbor, I think I heard Brendan repeat himself saying, "This is my favorite day of college." He apparently did some group work in the morning, road his bike in the snowy mess for two hours, cross-country skied for another hour or two, ate Chipotle with us and then partied with us. I would have liked trying to ski, but I don't have skis right now. I decided to finish up the long ride by spinning for another two hours while watching Overcoming (a cycling movie about Team CSC).

The evening finished with a Chamois Army Fort (CAF) get together. For those of you who don't know, a chamois is the padded part at the bottom of cycling shorts. I don't know who named our house the CAF though. We had a number of friends over to carbo-load a bit while not talking about cycling too much, but you know how that goes; Cycling was talked about just as much as usual. A few other guys besides Tom were supposed to make it out from the east side of the state, but the closed freeways changed their plans. Next time we will all party together!

3 comments:

Cruise said...

Indeed we will

John Z said...

How was Florida. I was down there for a 2 weeks over break also. I swear I saw you...

John Z said...

I stayed in Stuart with my parents for a week, 45 minutes north of WPB. I actually rode down past Jupiter beach a few times on that little island. It would have been crazy if we saw each other.