Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sleepless Night

Now that I have more time on my hands, it seems more appropriate to be checking out all of the blogs and writing a bit myself. I didn't sleep well at all last night, probably because I stopped riding a day or two ago and have been doing nothing but resting. Darrell mandated a week off of the bike...say what? No really, it is a transition week in my plan right now since I peaked out for nationals. Darrell's words echo in my sleep deprived brain, "It is a long season my young friend and you have to think long term, beyond this year." Darrell's words of wisdom do make sense. If I want to perform all the way until and through track nationals (which I am thinking about racing without being at a velodrome for two months), I need this break both psychologically and physiologically.

I would like to do it all and feel that I'm not making much progress, with a 61/130 in the collegiate national road race and a 32/100 at the criterium, but I must remember that I'm fairly new to the sport. Development takes time and it is pretty exciting to be racing national events during my second season of dedicated training. Sometimes some reflection can go a long way when worrying about results. I have many years of racing left in my legs and if the progress continues as it has been, I should have no problem developing further.

We'll see if I can make it a week. With the time off driving me stir crazy, I might have to race both Thursday and Saturday. Either way, I'm visiting my family on the west coast of Michigan this weekend. It might be my last chance before moving to Arizona.

No comments: