Wednesday, November 26, 2008

30 Minute TT and Nutrition


I can't believe it is finally that time again. I'm waiting on the couch, with a full stomach, for the slow ticking away of another two hours before I ride the first 30 minute time trial of this training season. The bike is running smoothly, with a freshly lubed chain. It felt good on the trainer yesterday. I'll be riding this TT inside this time around in order to set up this month's power zones for training.

Preparing for this TT, questions of proper nutrition came to mind. I recently read Joe Friel's and Dr. Loren Cordain's book entitled, "The Paleo Diet for Athletes." The authors advocate eliminating such things as dairy, wheat based products and meats loaded with saturated fats. Wait a minute, dairy and wheat products out of the diet? Where will you get your calcium? Many other sources of food contain calcium and reading about dairy's effects on insulin after consumption, I am confident dairy is not necessarily a "good" food.

The main sources of carbohydrate in this nutritional regime are fresh vegetables and fruits. In addition, good fats supplement some of the energy burned during exercise, in the form of certain oils and nuts. And most diet-changing, at least for me, has been the consumption of nearly 1g/lb of protein. The minimum protein requirement for my diet is well over 112 g of protein per day when using the authors' protein recommendations.

The only downside to all of this, that is besides excessive flatus to begin with, is the need to run up to the grocery store 2-3 times per week. Its been difficult dialing in the amount of vegetables and fruits that are necessary to fulfill my often endless hunger. We'll see how well this diet works when the 4-5 hour rides roll around. I hope I don't have to resort back to pounds of pasta a week.

Summing up my nutritional plan, I've been eating more meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts and certain oils, than I ever have in my life. Chicken, fish, egg whites, zucchinis, tomatoes, walnuts, olive oil, bananas and apples are the new staples of my diet. Essentially, this is a nutritional experiment. I'll write about how this works out over the next few weeks.

Pre-TT Breakfast:

Eggs= 200 calories (3 egg white=60, 2 whole eggs=140)
¼ C walnuts= 200 calories
2 C apple sauce = 200 calories
2 banana = 180 calories

& Don't forget ESPRESSO

______________________________________________________________

1200-Its now within an hour of my ride, and I almost belched up some apple sauce. Note to self, don't east so much food before a short time trial. I guess I over compensated with the fruits and protein since I left out grains...

4 comments:

Doug said...

Soy milk for calcium.

Where do you get egg whites?

Chris Aten said...

I've tried soy milk, but I hear it lowers testosterone if consumed in large amounts. I get the egg whites straight from the eggs my man, do you get yours somewhere else?

Cruise said...

I'll be starting the same diet after CX nats. Not sure how dedicated I will be able to stay.

The no wheat, grains, and milk is killer..

Nick said...

You guys should both check out the Primal Diet, like Paleo, but more fat. Interesting stuff, and would likely give you more energy. I follow it, but don't blame my slowness on the diet, it's lack of training!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/